This is one of my husband’s favourite but my sisters think that fish biryani is a bad idea (A stinky one). I never had an opportunity to make for them so this is specially for them so that they can try it and trust me it’s delicious.
1 lb king fish ( you can use any firm fish)
2 Tbsp Ginger-garlic paste
3 Medium sized Onion (finely julienne cut)
2 Medium sized Tomatoes
Whole garam masala (cumin- 1 tsp, cloves 2-3, cinnamon about 3 inch, bay leaf – 1, star anise – 1, cardamom – 3)
2 Cups Rice
Salt to taste
5 tbsp Oil
Juice of 1 lemon
- Take about 1 tsp of chili powder, 1/2 tsp of turmeric, 1/2 tsp cumin powder , salt, juice of 1/2 lemon. mix and apply a thin layer on the fish and keep it for marination for about 1 hr.
- Wash rice and soak also add few whole garam masala in this along with few mint leaves.
- heat the oil in a heavy base pot and fry the fish on both sides ( we are only caramelizing the fish and giving the flavour of fish to the oil) and keep it aside and do not drain the oil from the fish.
- In the same oil add whole spices and then add onion and fry till they are golden brown and add ginger garlic paste and cook for sometime. Now add tomatoes and cook till oil separates , add lemon and cook for 1 more min.
- Half cook the rice in a separate pot and drain the water.
- Remove half the masala as we would require it for layering and then add a layer of rice and then again add the remaining masala and now add very thin layer of rice and then place the fish on it and then final layer of rice. we do not want fish to become moist and soggy and yet want all the flavours in it. and cook on a low heat for about 20 mts. allow it to rest for about 30 mins before serving.
- At the time of serving just gently move the rice of the top layer and remove the fish as we do not want it to break. Mix everything and place the fish above the rice and serve.
Enjoy and God bless.
I hope You’ll try this! 🙂