This recipe was shared by a close friend of mine and she learned from a lady who had actually tasted the original one. Not knowing about the exact outcome I gave it a try the first one I added lot of onions and this was my second attempt still not sure weather it was right or wrong then my mom said there is nothing like right or wrong in cooking, it tastes good then u did your job well. so going with my mother’s instinct this biryani unlike other Indian biryanis does not contain too much of masala but its Different
2 lbs chicken
1/2 packet of ready tandoori masala
200 gms of hung yogurt
2-3 tbs of ginger garlic paste
1/2 tsp of turmeric
1-2 tsp chilli powder
1/2 tsp of garam masala
salt to taste
For Biryani Rice
2 lbs of Basmati rice
whole garam masalas like cardmom-2, cloves-4, cinnamon, star anise-1
1tbsp of whole cumin
onions 3 large size cut into julians and fried
3 large size tomatos cut into rings
bunch of cilantro finely chopped
bunch of mint finely chopped
juice of 2 lemon.
200 ml of oil
- Mix all the ingredients ment for marination and keep it refrigerated for abt 3-4 hours
- Take oil in a non stick skillet or a big pan and fry the onions and keep it aside
- In the same oil fry the chicken on a high flame we want the outer layer to get nice colour and not want the chicken to get cooked completely. keep it aside do not drain the oil. if any masala is left after frying chicken add it to the oil and cook for about a minute and keep it aside
- Wash the rice and soak it for about 30 mins and add whole spices along with cumin and salt.
- Cook the rice, when half done drain the water and keep aside.
Add a small quantity of oil into the vessel in which u’ll be doing dum and spread a layer of rice on that place the chicken then sprinkle onions on this place tomato rings and then sprinkle herbs and lemon juice then again spread some rice and continue doing this till done. and cook on a medium heat for about 5-10 mts and then on a low heat for about 20-30 mts. Allow it to rest for 30 mts and serve hot.
p.s. I used non stick because chicken sticks to the pot but is only optional.