Hi , my first post here! Dedicated to my mom.
Everyone am sure has their version of biryani. This one is my mother’s recipe. Although she uses a cooker only if guests come over unplanned. I use a cooker every time I make it. It saves you a lot of time.
Here’s the recipe for 1 KG rice and it takes me approximately an hour to make it :
- 5 large onions finely chopped
- 4 big tomatoes quatered
- 5 green chillies slit
- Small bunch of pudina
- Small bunch of coriander leaves chopped
- ½ cup curd (preferably a little sour) or 2 limes
- 5 tbsp ginger garlic paste (i like to add a little more sometimes)
- 3 – 4 tbsp Red chilli powder (i like it a little spicy.)
- 1 tsp Turmeric powder
- 2 tbsp Coriander powder
- 10 cloves
- 2 stick cinnamon
- 5 cardamom
- Salt according to taste
- 1/4L oil
- 1KG mutton (preferably big pieces)
- 1KG basmati rice
- Heat oil in a cooker and add all the whole spices.
- Now add onions and sauté until golden brown, it makes the taste better or you could just wait until the onions become translucent if you don’t have the time.
- Add the ginger garlic paste and fry for a couple of minutes.
- Add the mutton and fry for a little while.
- Now add the pudina and green chillies and half of coriander leaves.
- Add tomatoes and all the spice powders and mix well
- Now add the curd, salt and cover the cooker ( I also add a little water because i don’t want it to stick at the bottom of the pan)
- Cook until the meat is 3/4th done because you’ll cook it fully with the rice.
- As the meat is cooking boil water with some salt in a big vessel .
- Add the washed and soaked(10min) rice to the boiling water.
- Strain the water when the rice is 3/4th cooked.
- Now mix the cooked rice and meat in the big vessel , either u can mix both fully or add it in layers. (I like to mix it fully.)
- Add the remaining coriander leaves and cover with a tight lid.(my mom prefers to add a little ghee at this stage.)
- Cook on slow fire for 20 mins.
- Serve with curd raitha.